Reading Time: 7 minutes read
In the 21st century, people generally stay in touch through text messages, emails, and Facebook comments. While these are convenient forms of communication, they lack a certain sincerity. It’s a feeling that only comes from a tangible, time-invested message. Communication via a thinking-of-you card is much more meaningful. These social-distance-approved mailers are especially impactful when you make them yourself. With words from the heart and a few nostalgic photos, a custom thinking-of-you card will instantly warm hearts.
Close the distance between you and your loved ones. Learn how to create photo cards, and you’ll always be together.
The Thought Behind a Thinking of You Card
You’re probably thinking a text or email would be so much easier. Yes, a digital message is quick and convenient. But there are very specific (and important!) reasons for sending a paper card instead.
It shows you really care – A text takes 20 seconds to type. You may have hemmed and hawed finding the right words. Creating a custom card requires a bit more time and thought. First, compose a genuine message and find suitable photography. Then consider design and layout. Choose the font style and color scheme to fit your message. Fine-tune the copy and image to fit. Rest assured, your efforts won’t go unnoticed.
It’s personal – A thinking-of-you card gives ample opportunity to personalize your message. Unlike a text or phone call, you have time to find the right words. Remember, your loved one doesn’t know this is coming. Take all the time you need. Dig up memories from an old photo album. Craft a poem in their honor. Or, snag a few great pet photos for the animal lover. Use this card to make them smile.
It’s safe in social distancing – The year 2020 brought a whole new meaning to miss-you cards. The pandemic forced everyone to socially distance. You could be a quick drive away and have no personal contact for several months. A card in the mail can’t replace face-to-face socializing. Personalized miss-you cards are a safe way to connect when you’re forced to be apart. Plus, creating them can be a fun quarantine activity.
Send a Loving Message
By now, you’re convinced a thinking-of-you card is a perfect way to reach out. But how exactly do you go about it? The first step is to put words on paper. You don’t have to be a professional writer. Sincerity is easily achieved by speaking from the heart. To get the ideas flowing, try a brainstorming session. Sit down with a pen and paper (or computer and blank document). Think about your loved one and jot down any feelings that come to mind. Whether it’s one word or a full-sentence doesn’t matter. You’ll organize it all in the next few steps.
Use these words to express your gratitude for their love and companionship. One or two sentences is enough. Maybe this person did something that deserves recognition. A simple “thank you for…” goes a long way. This is a great idea for teachers. Send out some school photo cards to show your appreciation.
Otherwise, compliments are always welcomed. Tell your friend or family member exactly what you love about them. Get specific. Specifics are more sincere.
1. You’re so great with children.
2. Thank you for checking on me these past few weeks.
3. I missed seeing you at the family reunion.
In the next sentence, clarify or elaborate. Say why you love that particular character trait. If you’re expressing appreciation, explain how you or someone else benefited from their good deed. This might be harder to articulate. But it’s okay to keep it short and sweet.
1. You’re so great with children. Seeing my kids light up when you visit or talk to them makes me so happy.
2. Thanks for checking on me these past few weeks. Your love and support have given me the strength I need to heal.
3. I missed seeing you at the family reunion. It’s always a pleasure reliving old stories with you and catching up on what’s new.
Conclude the message with a hopeful statement. Make it about when you’ll see or talk to them next. Your final words should be as positive and uplifting as possible.
1. You’re so great with children. Seeing my kids light up when you visit or talk to them makes me so happy. Let’s schedule a time to video chat before summer ends.
2. Thanks for checking on me these past few weeks. Your love and support have given me the strength I need to heal. Hopefully, soon I’ll get to thank you in-person.
3. I missed seeing you at the family reunion. It’s always a pleasure reliving old stories and catching up on what’s new with you. I can’t wait for next year! We’ll really have some catching up to do then.
Find the Right Photo for Your Thinking-of-You Card
Your words are precious and meaningful. But the image(s) you use will be the first thing they see. Draw attention with a powerful photo (or more). The photo should match the tone of your message and elicit an emotion. An inside joke, for instance, pairs well with a goofy photo. Make them laugh. Whereas, a “thank you” works best with a portrait-style image. Your recipient will instantly feel the warm and fuzzies.
Think about the message you’re sending and the reaction you want. This helps narrow down your photo options. For more inspiration, consider these ideas:
· The last photo you took together
· A favorite memory
· A time you celebrated them (birthday, anniversary, retirement, etc.)
· A closeup of their best furry friend
· Selfies you took together
· A family portrait or other group photo
Can’t pick just one? Create a collage. If it fits on the card, it’s fit to print.
Perfect Your Design
If you haven’t already, download and open Motif on your Mac. Design your photo card by choosing the size, orientation, theme, and font styles. This may sound complicated, but the app is easy to use. Try the guided tour if you like. Let the tone of your message and photos dictate the design. You have free reign to create. Use Motif’s wide selection of editing tools. Review your project as many times as needed. Check it for typos or snafus in Preview mode.
Once you’ve perfected the design, your photo card gets even better. That’s because Motif prints your photo card on premium paper, offering true whiteness and the brightest of colors. This adds a professional, high-quality touch you can’t get from a home printer. A personalized thinking-of you-card becomes a keepsake for years to come.
Bring your photo memories to life with Motif.Experience the joy of creating personalized photo projects with Motif. Our photo book app seamlessly works with Apple Photos in macOS and iOS. It does all the complicated stuff leaving the fun creative freedom to you.
What did you think of this article?
- Have a Father’s Day Photoshoot With These Photoshoot Ideas - June 14, 2021
- Unique Graduation Photoshoot Ideas You’ll Want to Use in 2021 - June 9, 2021
- How to Take Breathtaking iPhone Panorama Shots - May 27, 2021