Reading Time: 4 minutes read
If you’ve been staying safe at home like we have, we’re guessing you’ve heard your kids say, “there’s nothing to do,” a few hundred thousand times. It’s another job on top of working from home, making sure the kids are doing their homework, and keeping your own sanity during the current situation. We know, cuz we’re right there with you.
So, in the spirit of keeping your family busy and challenged during quarantine, here’s a list of things to do with kids at home you might find as helpful as we have.
1) Go camping in the backyard or the living room. Just the simple act of getting your tent out of storage elicits memories of camping trips of the past. If you don’t have a backyard, set it up in a room of your house or apartment. If you don’t have a tent, make one with a couple sheets and some chairs. You won’t actually be camping, but you’ll enjoy a nicer bathroom.
2) Relive that family road trip by creating a photo book in the car. Remember when the whole family piled into the minivan or SUV and headed to that destination? The sights you saw along the way as well as the destination itself, are probably still on your phone or cameras. Charge up your laptop or cell phone and get in the car. Instead of starting the car, open the Motif app. Find your favorite photos from the trip and make a beautiful photo book to relive that special moment.
3) Bake some goodies. There may be no better work/reward scenario than making baked goods. Following family recipes or yummy ones you found online are great things to do with kids at home. Your house fills with the smell of baked goods. Your kids learn the basics of baking. A skill that will always come in handy later in life.
4) Play charades. It’s a simple game that relies solely on your ability to use your imagination and creativity. Play with everyone in the house. Invite others to join in on your favorite video conferencing medium. Here are the basic rules of Charades and a simple online search for topics will yield endless topics.
5) Organize to give. Spring is traditionally the time to open up closets, drawers, and garages to do some cleaning. You’ll find items that haven’t been used in a while or don’t fit so well. There are those less fortunate who could use them. Clean and/or wash them and donate to your local charities. Enjoy the organized space and the feeling you get when helping others.
6) Teach the family pet a new trick. If you have to sit at home, it’s the perfect time to make your dog sit at home. Have even more time? Teach the cat to sit. Find more tricks here.
7) Call someone who might be alone. If donating your ill-fitting clothing and unused items warmed your heart, donating your time will certainly do the same. Pick up the phone and call someone who might be alone. Call elderly friends to check how they’re doing.
8) Write an actual letter. Get a piece of paper, an envelope, a stamp, and something to write with. Find a nice place, then write. Letter writing is gradually becoming a lost art. Emails, texts, and social media messaging has become the norm. It’s never too late to rescue your penmanship. It’s always nice to get something in the mail that isn’t a bill.
9) Have a formal dinner. This is one of our favorite quarantine ideas. Prepare a delicious, several course dinner. Turn off the television. Set the table. If you haven’t yet, bathe. Wear something you might normally wear to a posh restaurant. When your mouth isn’t full, talk to each other. Make dinner an event again.
10) Interview each other. Interviewing is an important skill. You and your child can start interviewing each other face-to-face by asking each other questions and taking notes. If your child shows interest, they can take it to another level by calling a grandparent or family member and interviewing them over the phone.
We understand the challenges of staying at home. This list of quarantine ideas will hopefully help your family enjoy the time together. We too need things to do with kids at home because we’re all in this together. Check back for more quarantine ideas in the coming days and weeks.
Bring your photo memories to life with Motif.Experience the joy of creating personalized photo projects with Motif. Our photo book app seamlessly works with Apple Photos in macOS and iOS. It does all the complicated stuff leaving the fun creative freedom to you.
What did you think of this article?